My 9/11 Story


The only thing I was looking forward to on, September 11, 2001, was leaving school to pick up, JayZ - The Blueprint and Fabolous - Ghetto Fabolous. 

Who would believe that on that day the WORLD would change?

I was in gym class when we heard a loud noise go over my HS in SOHO. The school dean, who was in the gym with us said, "what is that? It sounds like a missile". Words I would never forget. As I walked around the hallway, minutes later, what I saw out the window would leave me speechless. 

At first, what I saw, I believed it was just a tragic accident. Once the second plane hit, I knew the world was about to change. We were all sent to our classrooms, no one was let out. We started to hear that the bridge (can't remember which one) was closed, that there was a b**b on it. Two more planes had tragic endings. With so much commotion going on, my only objective was getting back home to Brooklyn. Not easy when the city is in such a frenzy. 

On that day, I realized that we can't take things for granted and to appreciate what we have. Many lives were lost, to help us understand that life can change in a blink. As  a teenager, I really didn't have a care in the world. Looking fresh, music, and girls was all that mattered. That day forced me to grow up and see that "freedom is not free".

Finally reaching home on that day, being united with my family, to see a country come together, made me happy to see LOVE did exist and was proud to be an AMERICAN.

On our darkest day, together, we shined...

No comments:

Post a Comment